FOAM: Free Open Access Meducation
Heard of it?
Overwhelmed with resources?
Not sure where to get started?
This blog is for you.
Our goal is to provide a filtered and concise list of free resources available online that can be easily accessed. The vision is that every month, this series will release an array of interesting, prescreened, resident-focused online content for your perusal.
Below you will find an initial “Starter Kit” to get you going. You’ll find some top resources and below each, a section titled “strengths”, which highlights where to focus your energy within each site.
FOAM: Starter Kit
- Strengths: EKG building blocks, FOAM, Critical Care Content
- Strengths: PV Cards & Tricks of the Trade. PV Cards are invaluable, concise bullet pointed approaches to a wide variety of topics.
- Strengths: Encyclopedia of searchable radiology with emphasis on visual diagnosis and ability to scan through images
- Strengths: Categorized by body region with included images, assessment and treatment
- Strengths: Quick videos with systematic approaches and case-based learning
- Moved to a paid site, ecgweekly.com, but the archived videos are still available on YouTube
- Strengths: shameless plug but a resident-focused site with core content videos, blog highlighting education pearls and career tips, and a digestible rundown of what’s happening in the online EM community. You’re here now, so look around!
- Strengths: geared toward the FOAM beginner
- Strengths: a digest of popular FOAM resources; will help you identify more people to follow
- Strengths: Academic Life in EM twitter handle
- Strengths: Huge database to reference on the fly while on shift
- Strengths: Organize your “2nd brain” in a systematic way while also having the ability to upload files, pictures, add your own drawn pictures, etc.
- Strengths: Help translate on the fly or build your vocab word by word while on shift
1) EM Basic
- Strengths: The Basics of EM: Steve Carroll’s “boot camp guide” to approach common chief complaints
- Strengths: A more in-depth, critical care oriented podcast
- By far the most popular but a largely paid podcast, EM:RAP recently unlocked a ton of content for free
There are many, many more amazing FOAM resources out there, but hopefully this list gave you an easy way to confidently jump in!